By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
TWolves take down Lincoln
Placeholder Image
STOCKTON – Sierra High formed its non-league schedule with a purpose and the squad is not shying away from the top Sac-Joaquin Section Division I schools, beating Lincoln 2-0 Thursday for its first win.

The Timberwolves got things going offensively in the 34th minute of the first half when Delaine Quaresma hauled in a cornerkick assited by Shawnee Justice to push Sierra up 1-0. Joanna Ortiz closed out the Sierra scoring in the second half, when she made good on a shot assisted by Stephanie Vanni.

Sierra (1-1) matched up well with the Division I program, giving a talented group of Timberwolves momentum heading into the center portion of the non-league schedule.

“That was definitely a good place to pick up our first win,” Sierra head coach Manuel Pires said. “That is a tough place to win, so I was proud of the way the girls played. We played pretty well towards the end of the first half and then we kind of got used to their turf field.”

Sierra got superb play from keeper Mariah Fallon, putting on a clinic in the goalie-box complete with a highlight-reel save on a penalty kick to keep the game in a scoreless tie.
“Mariah had a great game for us,” She made a ton of plays and really did a good job of keeping us in the game.”

The Timberwolves will try and build on the win as they travel to Lodi to take on the Flames Monday.

“I really like the process that we are making,” Pires said. “It’s early and we still have a quite a bit of work to do, but I like some of the things that I am seeing from the girls.

“We’ve played two very tough opponents and we have another tough opponent Monday in Lodi.”

Sierra 1, Lincoln 1
The only thing that could have made things better for Sierra would have been a win, but the Timberwolves will have to settle for a tie.

Lindsay Williams put Sierra ahead with a penalty-kick goal in the 28th minute of the second half, but Lincoln found the back of the net just two minutes later.