By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Ripon Unified offering transitional kindergarten for upcoming school year
Placeholder Image

RIPON — For the upcoming 2012-2013 school year, students entering kindergarten must be 5 years old by Nov. 1. Therefore, the “Kindergarten Readiness Act” (Assembly Bill 1381) establishes a new class called “Transitional Kindergarten” (TK) for students who turn five between Nov. 2 and Dec. 2.

In Ripon Unified, the TK class has been named “Promoting Readiness in Education” or PREP class.

Why have Transitional Kindergarten/PREP Class?

AB 1381 requires students to be older than in previous years to attend kindergarten and provides an additional year of kindergarten (TK) for some of our youngest students. The PREP class is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program. Students completing the PREP class will participate in kindergarten the following year. Students with fall birthdays are often not developmentally ready and need more time to be successful in kindergarten. The two-year kindergarten program gives these students “the gift of time” to develop the social, emotional, and academic skills necessary to build self-confidence and achieve success in school and in the future.

What is the PREP Class program?

The PREP class works with a mixture of preschool foundations and kindergarten standards. Instruction will focus on language and literacy, math, and social emotional development through large and small group instruction, as well as hands-on activities.

Where is the PREP Class?

The PREP Class will be held at Ripon Elementary, with a full day program from 8:15 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Can other students become part of the PREP Class?

Students who turn five after Dec. 2 may be accepted into the PREP Class as they turn 5, if space is available.

How do I register my child?

 You may register your child in any elementary school office. If you’d like to put your child’s name on the list for PREP Class, or have other questions, please contact Kathy Coleman ( or Michelle Ryan ( (209) 500.2131.