It was a frightening fire department dispatch sending firefighters and ambulance medics to the Manteca Hotel at the southwest corner of Main Street and Yosemite Avenue shortly after 5 p.m. Tuesday reporting several individuals had been overcome by fumes on the second floor.
There was only one person however, hotel manager Rhonda Franklin, who was brought out of the building and walked down the back outside stairs to a waiting ambulance that had staged in the parking lot of the adjacent tire store on South Main Street after the call was dispatched.
It was unclear if she was suffering from the paint fumes reportedly in the building or had an asthma attack from those fumes as she had suggested, according to a witness.
It is customary for fire and ambulance personnel to stage their vehicles away from an address when the dispatcher and the first responders are unsure of the emergency situation they are approaching — mostly for safety precautions.
There are a number of low cost rooms for rent in the facility that often serves the homeless clientele of the community.
Firefighters and medics were on the scene for about 30 minutes before the call was cleared and the manager walked back to her hotel.
To contact Glenn Kahl, email firstname.lastname@example.org.