BOSTON (AP) — All-Star second baseman Dustin Pedroia is close to a contract that could keep him with the Boston Red Sox for his entire big league career.
A person with knowledge of the talks said Tuesday that Pedroia is in the process of agreeing to a deal adding $100 million over seven seasons through 2021.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the agreement was not yet complete. The new deal was first reported by WEEI.
Pedroia is making $10 million this year and is guaranteed the same amount in 2014 as part of a $40.5 million, six-year contract that started in 2009. That deal includes an $11 million club option for 2015 with a $500,000 buyout.
The 5-foot-8, 165-pound sparkplug was the AL Rookie of the Year in 2007 and AL MVP in 2008.
It’s important to Pedroia to finish his career in Boston. The deal would expire after he turns 38.
“It’s not official or anything, but, yeah, this is my home,” he said. “I love being here. I love my teammates. I love the city. So if (the deal is finalized), I’ll be pretty excited.”
Pedroia is a big reason for Boston’s success. In 100 games through Monday, Pedroia was hitting .308 with six homers and 57 RBIs. He made only two errors and missed just one game.
The 29-year-old was a backup on the AL all-star team this season. Pedroia might have received a better deal than the one that’s close to agreement if he had become a free agent after the 2014 or 2015 seasons.
“I don’t look at it like that,” he said. “I want to be at a place where it’s special to me and this place has been that.”
And he doesn’t expect a rich contract to change the way his teammates look at him.
“They still have to look down at me. I’m pretty short,” Pedroia joked, “but it’s a good feeling.”
In 956 games through Monday, Pedroia had a .303 career batting average, 96 homers and 466 RBIs.
A second-round pick of the Red Sox in the 2004 amateur draft, Pedroia made his major league debut in August 2006. He hit .191 in 31 games that season then had his breakout season in 2007 when Boston won its second World Series championship in four years. He hit .317 with eight homers and 50 RBIs.
He did even better in 2008 with a .326 batting average, 17 homers and 83 RBIs, winning a Gold Glove and Silver Slugger award.
In 2011, Pedroia posted career highs of 21 homers and 91 RBIs with a .307 batting average. He dipped slightly last year with a .290 average, 15 homers and 65 RBIs as the Red Sox finished in last place in the AL East with a 69-93 record under manager Bobby Valentine.
“I love being here,” Pedroia said. “I live and die by this team and it’s important to me to be here my whole time.”
Pirates place closer on DL
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pittsburgh Pirates have placed National League saves leader Jason Grilli on the 15-day disabled list with a right forearm strain. Grilli, who left Monday night’s game at Washington in the ninth inning with discomfort in his forearm, traveled to Pittsburgh Tuesday and will be examined by team doctors. The All-Star right hander is 0-1 with a 2.34 ERA and 30 saves. Manager Clint Hurdle said Mark Melancon (2-1, 0.97, two saves) will assume the closer’s role in Grilli’s absence.
Orioles land K-Rod
The Baltimore Orioles bolstered their bullpen with a late-inning arm Tuesday, acquiring reliever Francisco Rodriguez from the last-place Milwaukee Brewers for minor league infielder Nick Delmonico. The 31-year-old Rodriguez has revitalized his career the past three years in Milwaukee, going 1-1 with 10 saves and a 1.09 ERA in 25 appearances this season.
Tony Clark union’s No. 2 official
NEW YORK (AP) — Former major league All-Star Tony Clark has been promoted to deputy executive director of the baseball players’ union, giving ailing head Michael Weiner a No. 2 official who could take over if his health worsens. Weiner said last August that he had been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and said last week that his condition deteriorated in June. He must use a wheelchair and cannot move his right side or right arm.
Jays’ Arencibia quits Twitter
TORONTO (AP) — J.P. Arencibia has quit Twitter. The Toronto Blue Jays catcher tweeted his farewell and deleted his @jparencibia9 account Tuesday. Arencibia says he was giving “way too much” of himself, thanked fans who supported him and added that he was “praying for the others that hate.”