By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Do you have to stop for city buses, like you do school buses?
Placeholder Image

SACRAMENTO – Do you have questions about general driving related requirements like registration and insurance? Are you unclear about laws and restrictions related to driving? The California Department of Motor Vehicles has answers. Save Time. Go Online at

Q: I know that I cannot pass a school bus when it is at a stop to load or unload passengers. Does this rule also apply to city buses?

A: While it is true that you must stop behind school buses when they have lights flashing and children are present, this rule does not apply to other buses such as city buses. According to the California Driver Handbook, when a bus stops ahead of you, you should reduce your speed to 10 mph and pass only if it appears safe to do so. If you can’t safely change lanes and pass a bus with adequate space between your vehicle and the bus, simply wait behind it until it begins moving again.

Q: I want to apply for a Hazardous Materials endorsement and I know I will need a background check. Where should I start first?

A: When applying for a Hazardous Materials (HazMat) endorsement, it is highly recommended that you start with the DMV. This will help expedite the procedure and ensure that the process runs smoothly. For more information, visit our web site at or visit your local field office and you will be provided with a brochure specifically outlining the requirements for obtaining this endorsement.

Q: My daughter registered my car in another state. However I recently received a renewal notice and notice of delinquent registration. How do I notify DMV that the vehicle is registered in another state?

A: You may return the renewal notice to DMV with a letter stating that the vehicle is now registered in another state. Be sure to indicate when the vehicle left California and the state where the vehicle is now registered. The fees remain due if the vehicle was registered elsewhere after the registration expiration date. If the vehicle’s ownership was also changed, you may wish to file a Notice of Release of Liability online at, to ensure DMV records are aware of the new information. DMV will update its records and stop further attempts to collect past due registration.

The DMV is a department under the Business, Transportation and Housing Agency, which is under the direction of Acting Undersecretary Brian Kelly. The DMV licenses drivers, maintains driving records, registers and tracks official ownership of vehicles and vessels, investigates auto and identity-related fraud, and licenses car dealers, driving schools, and traffic violator schools. For more information about the DMV, visit