By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Manteca Police make 3 arrests
Washington shooting DSC 6053
The clothes of a young shooting victim lay in the street next to his late model Mazda as a Manteca officer and detective investigate the Saturday afternoon incident near an East Yosemite Avenue car wash. - photo by GLENN KAHL/The Bulletin

A Manteca man in his early 20s was shot in the buttocks after a verbal confrontation at a car wash in the 700 block of Yosemite Avenue at North Washington Street.

 Three teens were arrested and charged with attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon and conspiracy to commit a felony in connection with the 12:30 p.m. Saturday incident, according to Manteca Police  Sgt. Stephen Schluer.

When officers arrived on the scene, they located the injured victim suffering from the gunshot wound and standing next to his late model Mazda in the middle of the 100 block North Washington Avenue. 

He had reportedly left the safety of his car and had been shot in an alley some 70 feet from his car.  First aid was provided until Manteca Fire and ambulance personnel arrived on the scene.  

“The victim advised officers that he had been shot after leaving the carwash,” Sgt. Schluer noted. “He did not provide information to the possible suspect or suspects.”

The victim was transported by Manteca Ambulance to the San Joaquin County General Hospital Trauma Unit where he was initially listed in critical but stable condition prior to surgery, Schluer said.

Officers cordoned off the crime scene around the victim’s car in the middle of Washington Avenue and adjacent property. They are blocked off a section of an east to west alley that runs between Fremont Avenue and Washington and the adjacent car wash along with a small house parking area to the rear of the car wash.  

Four Manteca officers who had responded to the scene interviewed witnesses to the shooting in the neighborhood. They were allowed to search the car wash business by its owner and collect evidence in a large paper bag. The street was closed and private cars parked in front of apartment complexes were not allowed to leave. 

The suspects were identified through a line-up at the police department later in the afternoon.  The street was closed to through traffic for about three hours after the shooting. 


To contact Glenn Kahl, email