By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Manteca firemen attempt to revive poodle
MobilehomeDSC 0779
A Manteca fireman pulling a fire hose leaps up the steps of a mobile home on Sunday adjacent to one already engulfed in flame in an attempt to keep the fire from spreading.

A Sunday night mobile home fire loss was set at $110,000 to the home of Robert Hansen where a pet poodle died of smoke inhalation.
Manteca firefighters said losses amounted to $90,000 to the structure and $20,000 to the contents.

The alarm sounded shortly before 7:30 p.m. from the Almond Blossom Mobilehome Estates  on East Yosemite Avenue after family members reported hearing a loud explosion.   Black smoke could be seen rising  over Yosemite Avenue from as far away as downtown Manteca.

Fireman Tony Taberna located the family pet in its hiding place below furniture in the home.  Taberna took the animal outside and attempted mouth to snout CPR but to no avail.  Firefighters then used direct oxygen, but they were unable to save the dog.  He reportedly succumbed from smoke inhalation.

When fire crews arrived on the scene the home was “well involved” in flames and the adjacent residence was beginning to ignite.  Firemen escorted a neighbor from the living room of that home.

Fire department investigator Kevin Terpstra said the point of origin for the blaze was a garbage can that had been used to dispose oily rags that had been used to stain wood for cabinet construction.  The can had been placed inside a shed to the rear of the mobile home where he estimated the interior temperature of the structure to have reached 130 to 140 degrees – placing the rags at a temperature ignition level.

It was 107 degrees outside at the time, firemen said, noting their 80 pounds of turnout gear made them even hotter fighting the fire.
Firemen were successful in preventing the fire from extending into other nearby residences and they also prevented further fire extension within the home.  All the occupants made it out of the building safely as a result of working smoke detectors, Interim Fire Chief Kirk Waters  said.
Firemen said the occupants did a nice job getting out of the residence and going to a safe meeting place as well as notifying firefighters that everyone was safely out.

Firefighters remained on the scene for some three hours performing salvage and overhaul operations along with their fire investigation.  Twenty firefighters – 15 career and five reserves – responded to the fire including one engine from the Lathrop-Manteca Fire Department.