Elden ‘Red’ Nutt has concerns about the City of Ripon’s Fourth of July event.
At last Tuesday’s Ripon City Council meeting, the councilman gave his report on the recent fireworks show.
Since bringing the pyrotechnic display back to Ripon High’s Stouffer Field about three years ago – prior to that, the fireworks celebration was held across town at the Mistlin Sports Complex – Nutt said the number of donors have decreased.
In that first year back, 2011, Nutt reported 344 donors made possible the Independence Day event along downtown.
Last year, those numbers dipped to 209 donors.
“This year, there were 104 donations, and the individual donations were smaller,” said Nutt, who was thankful to have at least one major contributor to make possible the Fourth of July show.
He was iffy on the future of the fireworks show continuing at RHS as work modernization work continues at the stadium. “We will need a committee to work on this for next year,” Nutt added.
Overall, he was pleased with the Fourth of July that kicked off in Ripon with a morning parade consisting of non-motorized vehicles that started at the Historic Arch, traveling east on West Main Street to Stockton Avenue.
Fun, games and activities followed at nearby Ripon Elementary School.
“It was a great turnout for the (fireworks) show,” he said.
To reach reporter Vince Rembulat, e-mail email@example.com.