The year 2011 has been one of the deadliest years on record in Manteca
Six violent deaths occurred within the city limits during 2011.
• June 8: Ernesto Manuel Duenez, Jr., 34, was killed in an officer-involved shooting on Flores Avenue just west of Cottage Avenue and immediately south of North Street. The district attorney has yet to rule whether the shooting was justified due to a backlog of officer-involved shootings in San Joaquin County.
• Aug 19: Tony Duenas, 31, was gunned down outside his home across from Baccilieri Park, south of the downtown and just east of South Main Street. No suspect has been arrested.
• Aug 27: Dean Ponsiano, 46, of Manteca died after a future son-in-law struck him outside his family home in the Woodward Park area following a child’s birthday party. He hit his head when he fell and died in a Modesto hospital several days later. It was ruled as murder and the suspect was arrested.
• Sept. 3: A Ceres woman’s death was classified as murder allegedly caused by a man fleeing police on foot and running in front of traffic as he crossed Highway 99 just south of Yosemite Avenue. The woman was riding on the back of her husband’s motorcycle and was fatally injured when it crashed as traffic stopped to avoid hitting the runner. The suspect is being held in county jail.
• Oct 15: Drake Benton, 24, was stabbed to death on a Sherman Avenue sidewalk near Moffat Boulevard. A suspect was arrested some two weeks later and is currently in county jail.
• Oct 31: A Halloween night murder of a 50-year-old woman on Golden Pond Drive resulted in the arrest of a son on suspicion of murder at the home in the Union Ranch East neighborhood east of Union Road and north of Lathrop Road. The son is currently in county jail in French Camp.