With just 23 days left before Thanksgiving, the Turkeys R Us drive is short 742 turkeys to make sure struggling families in Manteca, Ripon, and Lathrop have a traditional holiday meal.
The drive, now in its 17th year, has funds on hand to purchase 208 turkeys at $12 apiece.
The overall goal is 1,900 turkeys or enough to provide 950 families the main course for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.
A typical household receiving the turkey meals often have at least one person working. They are on the ropes financially either due to reduced hours, medical expenses, or have lost their jobs. A good number are on limited income either as seniors without adequate financial, resources and single mothers.
The turkeys for Thanksgiving are needed in about 18 days since they have to be purchased and distributed to the 12 food pantries in Manteca, Lathrop, and Ripon that help struggling families.
Several groups have stepped up to conduct turkey drives for the effort.
Events and dates where turkeys can be dropped off at are:
• Wednesday, Nov. 12: Second Harvest hosts the Manteca Chamber of Commerce. Donations can be made during the event 8 to 9 a.m.
• Friday, Nov. 14: Bank of the West Manteca, Commerce Avenue, 3 to 6 p.m.
• Friday thru Sunday, Nov. 14-16: Stuff the Bus with Regional Transit District at the Food 4 Less in Manteca (Friday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 10a.m. to 4 p.m.)
• Saturday, Nov. 15: Stuff the Fire Truck at Safeway in Manteca 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Sunday, Nov. 16: Northgate Little League at the snack shack on Hoyt Avenue 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Frozen turkeys can be taken to Second Harvest at 704 E. Industrial Park Drive in Manteca Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monetary donations can be made online at www.localfoodbank.org or dropped off or mailed to Second Harvest, Coldwell Banker 319 N. Main St. Manteca, or Beacon Realty 211 E. Center St. Manteca .
Sue Teunissen and Leann McNabb are chairing the drive. If you have questions contact the food bank at 239.2091 or contact McNabb at 815.6754.