Six residential gardens in Manteca will be showcased in the 2013 Manteca Garden Tour which will be held on Saturday, May 11, the day before Mother’s Day.
The date makes this event a perfect Mother’s Day gift for mothers, grandmothers, and sisters who either have green thumbs, have a penchant for gardening, or are simply interested in enjoying a visual feast of lush and colorful private Edens.
The tour is the club’s only fund-raiser during the year, with all proceeds going to the group’s many civic and beautification projects. Besides scholarship awards, the club donates trees to Manteca city parks as well as to the landscaping around the public library. Members also started, and continue to maintain, the Rose Memorial Garden in front of the Manteca Senior Center. And this year for Arbor Day, the club is working with Kevin Fant of the City Manteca in a project that will help update the landscape at the Library Park by planting six trees and hardy bushes. Three of the six trees will be planted in memory of three club members who recently passed away – Gussie Cabral, Ginger Admire, and Russ Jones.
At the last house featured in the tour, there will be refreshments as well as drawing for many prizes donated by many local businesses.
The garden tour will be held from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tickets are still $15 apiece. They can be purchased from any club member. They are also available at the following businesses during regular business hours:
• Delicato Vineyards, 12001 S. Hwy 99 (west Frontage Road), Manteca.
• Ed’s Rockery, 600 E. Lathrop Road, Manteca.
• German Glas Werks, 109 E. Yosemite Avenue in downtown Manteca.
• Manteca Visitors Center, Promenade Shops at Orchard Valley on South Union Road on the south side of the 120 Bypass in Manteca.
• New Buds Nursery, 23563 S. Manteca Road just north of West Ripon Road.
• P&L Concrete Products, 1900 Roosevelt Avenue in Escalon.
• Park Greenhouse and Nursery, 12813 E. West Ripon Road in Ripon.
• Silverado Nursery, 460 South Stockton Avenue in Ripon.
• Morris Nursery, 1837 Patterson Road in Riverbank.
For more information about the garden club, visit http://mantecagardenclub.org, on Facebook, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.