By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Suspect hijacks car at 120 Bypass off ramp
Fast food murder DSC 5102
The murder scene Tuesday night at the Airport Way and Daniels Street Taco Bell parking lot. - photo by Glenn Khal/Bulletin

A man described as being in  his early 60s was gunned down Tuesday night after getting into his car with a take-out order at the Taco Bell on Daniels Street at Airport Way in Manteca.
The man described as having a slight build was shot at 9:45 p.m. as he was seated in his silver sedan parked in the second row from the fast food restaurant’s entrance.
The gunman — described as being in his early 20s —  fled toward the 120 Bypass at Airport Way westbound off-ramp. Once there he approached a late model Mercedes that was stopped at a red light. The 26-year-old woman driver said she had both windows down and the shooter put a hand gun through the passenger side window and told her to get out of the car.  The shooter then carjacked the vehicle and drove away eastbound on the 120 Bypass.  She was just coming from her gym and was going home to shower before going to her night job at the UPS distribution center in Lathrop.
As the suspect sped down the freeway,  several Manteca Police units chased him to Highway 99 and then south into Ripon where he exited on Jack Tone Road. He abandoned the Mercedes at West Main Street and Jack Tone near a Quick Stop convenience store on the west side of the community.  There was a report that he attempted to carjack another vehicle in Ripon but was apparently unsuccessful.
Ripon police set up a perimeter around the residential area adjacent to the Quick Stop and began a search for the suspect as three Manteca police units arrived to join the effort. As of press time police had not found the suspect.
Manteca detectives were called out to the Taco Bell to talk to witnesses and survey the murder scene.
A diner inside the restaurant – a DVI correctional officer from Tracy – said he heard at least three shots and ran to the door to see the man slumped in his car.  Running to his aid, he pulled him from behind the wheel and out onto the ground where he started CPR.  He said the man was still alive feeling his pulse and adding that he soon began to choke and passed away as he attempted to revive him.
To contact Glenn Kahl, email