Man sets fire to home by microwaving socks, undies
LONDON (AP) — Note to self: A microwave is for leftovers, not your boxers.
British firefighters say they saved an apartment from destruction after its domestically challenged resident tried to dry his wet socks and underwear in a microwave oven.
The Dorset Fire and Rescue Service says firefighters rescued the man from his home and extinguished the kitchen blaze Monday.
The fire destroyed the appliance along with the two pairs of underwear and socks inside it, and caused smoke damage to the apartment in Weymouth, a town on England's southwest coast.
"The fire safety message here is to never put clothing of any kind in the microwave or an oven to attempt to dry them," the Dorset firefighters said in a statement.
Police: 911 caller seeking ride for beer arrested
COLUMBIA, Tenn. (AP) — When you're out of beer and need a ride to get some, who you gonna' call?
City police arrested a 67-year-old man after he allegedly called emergency dispatchers at least nine times Saturday. Most of the calls were hang-ups, but a dispatcher said at least once, the caller asked if someone could send him a ride so he could buy beer.
Police Officer Seneca Shield said he told Allen Troy Brooks that if he cooperated, he would just receive a citation. But authorities said Brooks denied making calls and claimed he didn't have a telephone. Brooks was arrested and charged with making 911 calls in a non-emergency situation. He was released on bond.
Fire alarm blares 15 hours at public housing
WILKINSBURG, Pa. (AP) — A fire alarm that blared for more than 15 hours at a Pittsburgh-area public housing complex has finally been shut off.
Residents of Glenshaw Gardens in Wilkinsburg say the alarm's strobe lights began flashing and a high-pitched screech began sounding Sunday evening when a resident burned some popcorn.
Building president Bud Joyce says the delay occurred because the housing authority began managing the building in May and didn't have a key to the room where the alarm's control panel is located because the room also contains access to a bank's automatic teller machine.
Accessing the room in a way that would safeguard the ATM caused the delay.