A fire sale – a garage sale from the heart – is in the planning for Saturday by neighbors of a Manteca family burned out of their home on Wednesday in the 700 block of Canterbury Way.
Kathryn Martinez, whose husband Bob manned a garden hose beside homeowner Enrique Rodriguez, has been soliciting others in the neighborhood to help set up the Saturday morning sale near the burned out home. It will begin at 8 a.m.
Martinez said the Rodriguez home was by far the nicest home on the block with constant attention to make it better by the family of five who live there – including three teens. The blaze started in the garage and moved quickly into the attic, firemen said.
Two firefighters were hurt, one by falling through the attic, sustaining a back injury and the other with a fall outside the structure with a shoulder injury. Both were treated and released. One went back to work and the other was released to go home.
Initially four families have signed on to help with the sale and Martinez has taken it upon herself to walk through the neighborhood with fliers asking for others to participate. She said she and her husband have known the burned out family for about nine years and have watched their children grow up.
One daughter who is a student at East Union High School reportedly saw the smoke from her school realizing that it was coming from her neighborhood.
A Bank of the West account has been set up to help the family with any donations that come forward under the name of Enrique Elisa Rodriguez.
For information or inclusion in the sale call Kathryn Martinez at (209) 817-7040.