CREWS CONTAIN DESTRUCTIVE WILDFIRE NEAR REDDING: REDDING (AP) — Fire crews have fully contained a blaze that killed one man and destroyed nearly 70 homes in far northern California.
The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection says the Clover Fire west of Redding was 100 percent contained Sunday morning, nearly a week after it started.
The blaze charred nearly 13 square miles, destroyed 68 homes and 128 other structures, and killed 56-year-old Brian Stanley Henry.
On Saturday, officials reopened a State Route 120 into Yosemite National Park that was closed for nearly three weeks because of the Rim Fire, which has burned nearly 400 square miles. The blaze is now about 80 percent contained.
Also Saturday, firefighters fully contained a wildfire that burned nearly 5 square miles and forced evacuations in Mount Diablo State Park in Contra Costa County.
CLOVIS HOSPITAL FIGHTS LAWSUIT OVER PATIENT DEATH: CLOVIS (AP) — A Clovis hospital and doctor are defending themselves against a lawsuit filed by the family of a woman who bled to death after a common surgery.
The family of 40-year-old Nicole Caruso filed the medical-malpractice suit after she died following medical procedures at Clovis Community Medical Center on April 13, 2011.
A wrongful death civil trial began Thursday in Fresno County Superior Court. Testimony is scheduled to continue Monday.
Caruso died at her Clovis home about 14 hours after she was discharged from the hospital where she underwent surgery to remove a birth control device and get a tubal ligation.
Attorneys for the hospital and Dr. Hoa Pham contend that their clients’ actions were within the standard of care
POLICE: FRESNO MAN FATALLY SHOOTS MAN, WOMAN, SELF: FRESNO (AP) — Police say a Fresno man is suspected of fatally shooting a man and woman outside an apartment complex before turning the gun on himself.
The Fresno Bee reports 22-year-old Gerome Dixon of Fresno and 38-year-old Cynthia Walkins were killed Friday night.
Officials say they died within 10 minutes of each other and their bodies were found 400 feet apart.
The coroner’s office identified the suspected shooter as 50-year-old Anthony Jackson, who was found shot dead inside an apartment at 2 a.m. Saturday. Jackson lived next to Dixon at the complex.
Lt. Mark Salazar says Jackson had a 2-year-old child with Walkins, and there were “issues between him and the mother of his child.”
He says no other suspects were involved in the shootings. Detectives are still seeking a motive.
uJURUPA VALLEY PLANS FILING TO DISSOLVE CITYHOOD: JURUPA VALLEY (AP) — A Riverside County city that incorporated only two years ago is planning to dissolve.
Jurupa Valley leaders tell the Riverside Press Enterprise that they will file in December to begin the disincorporation process, which also requires a city election.
Jurupa Valley and three other Riverside County cities lost a combined $14 million a year in funding two years ago when the California legislature voted to shift funding from vehicle license fees.
Jurupa Valley lost nearly half of its general fund budget two days before it became a city and the 2013 legislative year closed Friday with no action to restore the money.
Leaders in the city of 94,000 say they’ll keep fighting in Sacramento to have the money restored — even as they file for dissolution.
RIALTO SCHOOL SUPERINTENDENT PLACED ON LEAVE: RIALTO (AP) — The superintendent of a Southern California school district has been placed on paid leave after an employee was arrested for allegedly stealing thousands of dollars in lunch money.
The board of the Rialto Unified School District placed Harold Cebrun and his chief of staff on leave Wednesday.
Cebrun, who’s denied involvement with any crime, told the San Bernardino Sun on Thursday that he agreed with the decision. Cebrun says the ongoing investigation must be perceived to be fair.
Authorities arrested former district accountant Judith Oakes last month on suspicion of embezzlement, grand theft and burglary. She handled deposits of student lunch money into a district bank account. Authorities say she was captured on video stuffing money into her bra.
GOLD THIEF GETS 5 YEARS AFTER GUILTY PLEA: YREKA (AP) — A man who stole $1.26 million worth of historic gold nuggets, jewelry and other artifacts from a Northern California courthouse has been sentenced to five years in prison.
Scott Bailey, 51, of San Pablo, Calif., pleaded guilty to burglary on Thursday. Authorities say Bailey and another man broke into the Siskiyou County Courthouse on Jan. 31, 2012, and stole the items from a display case. The courthouse is in Yreka, just south of the Oregon state line.
“We didn’t offer him any plea bargains. He pleaded guilty as charged,” District Attorney J. Kirk Andrus told The Mail Tribune newspaper of Medford, Ore.
The man allegedly with Bailey — 49-year-old David Dean Johnson of El Sobrante, Calif. — is scheduled to go to trial Nov. 19.
Security footage revealed two men breaking in through a rear window during the early morning heist. A faulty alarm failed to sound.
The men bought various high-value items with proceeds from the theft including new vehicles, the authorities said.
“He broke into our halls of justice and stole a big piece of our legacy, a significant representation of our culture,” Andrus said. “Did we do our jobs? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean there’s really anything satisfying.”