SACRAMENTO (AP) — The suspect in a New Year’s Eve bar shooting in Sacramento that left two people dead has been released from a hospital and booked into jail, authorities said.
After being released from an undisclosed hospital, Carlito Montoya was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail late Saturday on suspicion of murder, attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon.
Montoya, 22, was shot and wounded by an armed security guard after Montoya allegedly shot three people, killing two of them, at the Sports Corner Cafe in the Old Sacramento area of the city around 9:40 p.m. Monday.
Montoya, formerly of Oakland, was being held without bail and is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday, The Bee said. His mother, Sandra Montez, told the newspaper that he had moved to Sacramento just three months ago after she had encouraged him to leave Oakland to escape the influence of gangs.
The security guard, Stephen Walton, 46, was also wounded. His condition is not known, but police have said he is expected to survive.
Also being held in the case was a married couple police said were connected to the shooting.
Amber Scholz, 36, instigated an altercation and her husband, Charles Fowler-Scholz, 34, was involved in a fight before the shooting, police said. Police did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press on Sunday seeking details, but police said last week that the fight was sparked over a spilled drink.
They were being held on $1 million bail each after being arrested Friday on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon.
The New Year’s Eve shooting prompted police to cancel Sacramento’s New Year’s Eve midnight fireworks show that was expected to draw as many as 40,000 people. The pyrotechnics were instead detonated on Tuesday morning, startling residents of neighborhoods along the Sacramento River.