By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Its great to be back in the saddle again!
Placeholder Image
Hello there again. It’s been quite a while since we’ve met on this page. In fact it was in December, just before I had my last heart attack. Yup, I said heart attack. Boy, I don’t like those much. I am getting way too experienced with them. But there is good news that I will share with you shortly.

OK, so what happened? I was working on appraising a home in Stockton when I went into the back yard of this repossessed house to see if any of the back doors were open. There was no one living in the house so I couldn’t just ring the doorbell. When I got around the back I dropped something and when I bent over to pick it up, I lost my balance and went down. It felt kinda funny as I couldn’t stop myself and I went all the way to the ground. I remember it vividly. As I lay there with my face on the concrete, I came face to face with some ants. For some strange reason, I do remember that. I also remember asking my Lord if this was it. All I could think of was the peace that overcame me right then. I figured that if it was my time, then I was sure glad I had accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I knew where I would be going that day. But He must have something else in mind and that is why I am still here writing to you today.

Karen, my wife, came around the corner of the house to check on me and when she saw me on the ground, she figured I had kicked the bucket. (I actually was lying right next to a bucket that was left in the back yard of this house.) I heard her scream and I felt bad for scaring her like this. It must have been quite a sight. Well, anyway, she called an ambulance and then came to my side and comforted me. I was so glad she was there. I was awake (I thought) the whole time. Pretty soon I heard the sirens and knew they were coming to get me. They did. It looked to me like there were about 20 men in uniform to handle me. They hooked me up to some oxygen and put me on a stretcher. They were very nice guys and started talking to me, asking me a million questions. You know, where was I born, what is my name, what was the date, etc, etc. I told them to please look after my wife as I was worried about her. They did. They got me into the ambulance, asked me where I wanted to go and away we went, sirens blaring. Such a sight it must have been. Luckily a friend of ours was with us that day and she drove Karen to the San Joaquin County General Hospital. Karen was in no shape to drive. So that is how my journey began that day.

The emergency room staff were all wonderful but try as I might, I just couldn’t convince them I was OK and didn’t want to be checked in the hospital. Ha, not a chance. Not only was I checked in, I was put in intensive care and had to stay there for 5 days. I just wanted to go home.

I even tried to tell them that I couldn’t have had a heart attack because I didn’t feel like it. All I had were cuts and bruises from falling. My hand has now finally healed, thank God. This did make me think about my Savior quite a bit and wonder what He has in mind. I had my laptop brought to the hospital and was going to write to you from there but I just wasn’t up to it. But as you can see, I am now. I don’t want to dwell on this experience as I believe it was operator (me) error. You see, I was given medicine for my heart about a year ago, but when I took it, it made me dizzy so I quit taking it. I had intentions of going back to the doctor to get some different meds but just never got around to it. Silly me. This time my medicine is being monitored by my Angel Karen and I won’t get away with not taking it. And by the way, it doesn’t make me dizzy. I will be taking it from now on. Promise.

So that is what’s been going on and why I haven’t been writing my column. I have stored up plenty of stories for you and will be more faithful with them. I do have some advice for those of you who should be taking your meds daily. Just do it!! I realized how it affects your loved ones who have to worry about you. I did meet a lot of nice folks at the hospital, had a chance to tell them all about Jesus Christ and what He has done for me. The food was very good and the hospital was very clean and very professional. I have a whole new opinion of San Joaquin County General Hospital now and it is very good. I will not be afraid to go there ever again.

Now for sure, I will keep writing and you keep reading and come and sit with me and Karen at Crossroads Grace Community Church on Moffat Blvd. You find us in the front row or nearby at the 10:45 service on Sunday morning. Come and say hello. And oh by the way, it sure feels good to be back in the saddle again!