By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Someone is poisoning dogs in Park West
Boys-St.-BernardDSC 0515a
Eight-year-old Austin displays his love for his dog after the 22-month-old St. Bernard survived being poisoned in his Trailwood Avenue back yard with anti-freeze last Friday. - photo by GLENN KAHL
Two dogs have been poisoned with anti-freeze in their own back yards on Trailwood Avenue over the last two weeks – one died, one is recovering.

Another dog and a cat died from unknown causes.  They had not been tested for what they had consumed recently in the same neighborhood bordering on park lands that run along the backs of the homes in the area.

One homeowner said that her family nearly lost their two-year-old St. Bernard that had eaten what she believes was packaged lunch meat laced with anti-freeze that had been thrown over their four-foot-high fence into the rear yard of their residence.

The Park West Home Owners Association requires the height limitation to the fence and fences that allow those walking in the park to view into back yards.  The fences cannot be solid, one resident stated.

While their St. Bernard continues to improve a neighbor lost their pet Boston Terrier to the same fate.  That family also found plastic and foil wrappings near their fence that they also believed was from lunch meat with a residual hint of anti-freeze.

The woman said that their young St. Bernard is close to her two children who are eight and two years old and love to hug the big dog – and she hugs back.  Once they realized something was wrong, they took their dog to the Central Valley Clinic.

The couple had her tested first for Parvo and then for the unknown substance – learning she had ingested anti-freeze.  The St. Bernard is a big, cuddly animal, she said, not a barker and totally friendly.  She said she could see no reason why anyone would want to harm their family pet.  

She further noted that the symptoms for Parvo are similar to that of anti-freeze poisoning.  The dog first showed signs of depression and was lethargic before beginning to vomit blood, also having blood in her stool.

 The only quick solution is to take an affected pet to the UC Davis Veterinary Hospital where there is a kidney dialysis unit available in contrast to keeping the pet hydrated in an attempt to wash the poison out of its system.

She said her husband stayed up nights working to keep the animal’s hydration level up to a point she would survive the trauma of being poisoned with the saturation of the anti-freeze.  

The St. Bernard is improving, but she is still not up to her former physical condition.  They will not know if her kidneys have been permanently affected until they have another blood test administered in coming weeks.