AT A GLANCE
• WHAT: Third annual Charles Palmer II Birthday Bash and Troop Box Packing Event
• WHERE: Emeritus Senior Living at 430 North Union Road in Manteca
• WHEN: March 16, from 2 to 4 p.m.
• ALSO: The event is open to the public. People can donate items or sponsor the delivery of a package. The rate per package is $15.45.
• WEB: www.cplpalmertroopsupport.com
• CONTACT: For more information, call 209.239.8088 or email email@example.com
Chuck and Teri Palmer will celebrate the birthday of their slain son by sending gifts overseas.
The third annual Cpl. Charles Palmer II Birthday Bash and Troop Box Packing Event will take place on March 16 at Emeritus Senior Living on North Union Road.
Festivities will begin at 2 p.m.
Everyone is invited – and encouraged to bring donated items or a mailing address for a loved one serving in the military.
In the past, the Palmers, in conjunction with the Memorial Troop Support program and the American Legion Post No. 249, have helped send care packages to solders in Afghanistan, Somalia, Kosovo, Kuwait and Kyrgyzstan in honor of Charles Palmer II, Palmer.
The Manteca High alum was killed on May 5, 2007 in Iraq, leaving behind a wife and three children. He would have been 39 years old this year.
The Palmers are seeking the following donations for the troop packing event:
• candy and gum;
• correspondence items, such as paper, pens and pocket-sized tablets;
• dental hygiene items, such as toothpaste and toothbrushes;
• personal hygiene products, such as soaps, shampoos and lotions;
• feminine hygiene products, such as pads and tampons;
• non-perishable prepackaged foods, such as fruits, meats, pastas, puddings and cereals;
• high protein snacks, such as jerky, energy bars and nuts;
• books, magazines, CDs and DVDs;
• personal grooming items, such as nail clippers, lip balm, unscented wipes, combs, brushes and disposable razors;
• wash cloths and socks, preferably white or black;
• seasonings and condiments, such as sugar, salt and paper, powdered creamers, ketchup and mustard;
• small battery operated fans, hand warmers and additional batteries.
Items can be dropped off at the event or you can arrange to have them picked up in advance by calling 209.239.3088.
You can also sponsor the delivery of a care package with a monetary donation. Each box costs $15.45 to ship. A tax-deductible donation can be made out to the American Legion Post No. 249 and sent to P.O. Box 249 in Manteca.
In February, the Presidents Day Troop Box Packing Event produced 79 packages.
For more information, visit www.cplpalmertroopsupport.com. You can also contact the Palmers at 209.239.3088 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.