Turlock’s history is being kept alive at the Historical Society Museum in downtown Turlock. The evolution of the Valley city is available for all to see through a number of displays and memorabilia that represent over a hundred years of history.
With the help of Turlock Historical Society members and volunteers, contributions of individuals, businesses and contractors, the inauguration of the museum was made possible on December 2002. The museum itself is in the old Palace Meat Market building originally constructed in 1910.
A cultural display that surrounds the museum highlights the immigration of the different ethnic groups that found a new home in Turlock. The display depicts the customs and traditions through photos and artifacts of the Hispanic, Assyrian, Portuguese Japanese, and Scandinavian ethnic groups that have settled in the community.
The Family Life Display depicts early home life in Turlock and tries to capture the “pioneer spirit” of the early settlers. The display includes a collection of antique kitchen utensils, stoves and washing machines.
A military display sponsored by Turlock Major General John S. Patton features a collection of memorabilia and uniforms from his own service and other military artifacts and equipment donated by servicemen and their family members during the major wars.
“It’s just fun; this is small town America,” said Linda Gatton, a museum volunteer. “Someone had the vision to save our history; why would you not want to be a part of that?”
The Turlock Historical Society Museum is a non-profit organization that is funded primarily by donations and memberships dues. Admission to the museum, located at 108 S. Center St. , is free to the public. It is open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.