Plans for the return of prep sports remain uncertain.
Ripon High Athletic Director Rod Wright noted just that at Monday's Ripon Unified school board meeting.
A meeting with the section commissioners of the California Interscholastic Federation — that's the governing body for high school sports in the state — is scheduled on Wednesday.
"We should know more information by then," Wright said.
Due to Governor Gavin Newsom's latest stay-at-home orders from the increased cases of COVID-19 — couple that with the California Department of Public Health's guideline, in particular, the guidelines for return-to-play for high school sports — the plan for the upcoming Season 1 in Sac-Joaquin Section initially scheduled for this month is now being pushed back.
"No decisions have been made but maybe a March or April start," said Wright.
He indicated that because of the condensed scheduling, student athletes will be given the OK to play two outdoor sports when that time comes.
Added Principal Keith Rangel: "We're waiting for additional information from CIF. We're hoping that our students can compete this year in a safe manner."
Superintendent Ziggy Robeson was thrilled with the return of traditional kindergarten through eighth-grade students Monday following district-wide distance learning from the previous week.
"We're looking forward to (in-person learning) at the high school next week," she said.
Students at RHS were scheduled to be back on campus this week but that was delayed a week following last week's special school board meeting.