MODESTO – Modesto Junior College is offering Cash for College Night for high school seniors and recent graduates on Wednesday, Feb. 19 at 6 p.m. in Glacier Hall 201 on West Campus located at 2201 Blue Gum Avenue in Modesto.
The free financial aid workshop will be of value to any college-bound student who needs help meeting college expenses, either at MJC or at another institution and no advance registration is necessary. Attendees will receive timely information on the types of financial aid available including federal and state grants, fee waivers and scholarships.
High school seniors who attend the workshop will have the opportunity to qualify for a $1,000 “Cash for College Scholarship” drawing.
Computers and financial aid technicians will available to assist attendees in filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) so that they can submit by the Cal Grant deadline of March 2 (2012 income information is needed to complete the application.) Most high school students will need to report parental information on their financial aid application form and may find it helpful to have their parents attend the workshop with them. Assistance for Spanish speaking attendees will be provided.
There are a number of reasons students should start the application process early including:
• Many programs, including the Cal Grant Program, have application deadlines early in the year.
• Funding is limited in many programs and may be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.
• An early application allows ample time to make any necessary corrections to the application.
• Students can receive notification of financial aid eligibility prior to college attendance.
• Peace of mind that comes from knowing that steps have been taken to address this important component of preparation for college.
Financial aid technicians will be available to answer specific questions at the conclusion of the presentation, and are also available on an on-going basis to assist with applications and to answer questions. More information on the FAFSA is available and a FAFSA form may be submitted online at www.fafsa.gov. For more information on financial aid or the workshop call the MJC Financial Aid Office at 575-7700.