By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Sedan pulls into path of motorcyclist

A motorcycle collision Saturday at noon on East Yosemite Avenue with a sedan coming out of El Rancho Mobile Home Park caused the death of a 48-year-old Manteca man.

The car was exiting the mobile home park making a left turn where a sign warns “no left turn”. An eastbound van slowed for the vehicle to exit the driveway with the Yamaha motorcycle directly behind.  When the car driver was making his turn in front of the van the motorcycle, witnesses said, attempted to pass the slowing van by moving into the inside lane.  That’s when the car turning left exiting from the mobile home park driveway pulled into the path of the motorcycle causing it to slam into the driver’s side door and front corner panel.
The no left turn sign was erected more than 12 years ago when Caltrans upgraded East Yosemite Avenue when it was widened to four lanes by placing traffic signals at Vasconcellos Avenue after El Rancho Park owners built a secondary access point to that street to improve safety. The traffic lights were justified to a large degree on the assumption El Rancho residents would be forced to use Vasconcellos to turn west on Yosemite Avenue.
Drivers have continued to make left turns out of the El Rancho entrance/exit off on Yosemite Avenue.
The Good Samaritans rushed to the motorcyclist’s aid and attempted emergency procedures to save his life, police and a witness said.
The 55-year-old male driver of the car was uninjured police said while the motorcycle rider was thrown to the roadway with his motorcycle. Multiple police and fire units along with an ambulance responded.
Police closed off eastbound traffic at Highway 99 and slowed oncoming westbound traffic entering the area of the crash scene as the fire department used its 100-foot ladder truck to protect the motorcycle and its rider until the coroner could arrive on the scene and conduct his investigation.

The westbound traffic backed up to Austin Road at times during the investigation.