RIPON – The Bob Camden Inspirational Essay Contest is an annual project of Give Every Child a Chance.
At tonight’s Ripon Unified School District meeting, six elementary school students and one high school student will be recognized for this year’s essay topic: “The Most Inspirational Person I have Ever Met or Known.”
Fourth- through seventh-grade students’ Erica Simas (Park View), Joseph Gilbreath (Ripon Elementary), and Zachary Angel (Weston); seventh- and eighth- grade students’ Kaylee DeRuyter (Park View), Het Trivedi (Ripon Elementary), and Marissa Regalo (Weston); and Joshua Angel of Ripon High will be honored for their efforts during the 7 p.m. open session at the Ripon City Hall Council Chamber, 259 Wilma Ave.
According to Evelyn Moore of GECAC – she’s also the Manteca Unified School District board president – the essay contest was previously limited to MUSD but, in 2012, was opened to RUSD students for the first time.
Camden was an English teacher at MUSD for many years and a twice-a-week columnist for the Manteca News and Manteca Bulletin newspapers. He also authored a biography of real estate developer and GECAC founder Antone E. Raymus.
Moore will be on hand to recognize the essay contest winners.
In other agenda items:
• The board will honor students who achieved the California State Seal of Biliteracy and the Pathways to Biliteracy Award.
• Pam McClure of Ripona, Heidi Hawes of Weston, and Jamie DeBruyn of Ripon High will receive recognition as the RUSD nominees of the San Joaquin County Office of Education’s Teacher of the Year program.
• Kathy Woodson, a second-grade instructor at Park View, will also be honored as one of the San Joaquin A+ Teacher of the Year.
• Trustees will discuss their attendance assignments for the upcoming eighth-grade promotion exercises on May 23 and RHS graduation ceremony on May 24.
• They’ll hear a review from Siemens Energy Management Performance and possibly discuss the energy management performance report.
• Board member Ernie Tyhurst will give an update on the April 18 meeting with the County Commission of School District Organization on the redistricting of trustee areas.
More information on the board meeting can be obtained by contacting the district office at 209-599-2131 or log on to www.riponusd.net.