• POLLS OPEN: Today from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• POLLING PLACE INFO: Check on back of your sample ballot or go to www.sjcrov.org
Contributions in the past 30 days have added $9,380 to campaign war chests for five candidates vying for three seats — including the mayor’s post — on the Manteca City Council in today’s municipal election.
The current election is now the costliest in city history even when adjusted for inflation. As of Oct. 30, $123,845 has been raised in campaign contributions in an election that has been relatively quiet. Much of the money has gone into campaign signs followed by mass mailings.
It shatters the old mark of $100,256 spent on the 2002 election that saw a hotly contested campaign between then incumbent Mayor Caron Perry and challenger Willie Weatherford.
Steve DeBrum leads the pack with $46,404 while fellow mayoral hopeful Ben Cantu has raised $6,749. Even though that seems like a lot, by comparison Lathrop Mayor Sonny Dhailwal raised $42,402 as of 35 days ago.
DeBrum is also the most prolific campaign fundraiser in Manteca history. In five races he has raised over $133,000. He raised $32,269 in the 2012 council election. While many are large donations about a quarter — or four times what Cantu raised in this election cycle — are donations of $99 or less collected at fundraisers where tickets ranged from $20 to $30.
DeBrum was first elected in a special election in 2003 and won re-election in 2004, 2008 and 2012.
Council incumbent Vince Hernandez has collected $27,339. He is followed by Richard Silverman at $22,007 and Mike Morowit at $21,366.
Contributions since Oct. 1 were collected by the following candidates:
• DeBrum: Denham for Lt. Governor, $2,000; dairyman Paul Clarot, $2,000; Manteca Development Group, $1,500; Dutra Farms, $1,000; dairy broker Triand Co., $1,500; and dairyman Melvin Gadbut.
• Cantu: Pedro Oropeza, $500; Michael Brown, $200; and Rinzone Inc, $200
• Hernandez: Millennium Sales, $250; Gary Mueller, $200; Kathleen Skeets, $100; and Kenneth Vogel, $100
• Morowit: Manteca Development Group, $1,000; Truex Insurance, $100; and Bank of Agriculture & Commerce, $100
• Silverman: Punjabi American Association Manteca, $1,000; Jess Salmon, $1,000; Casino Real, $1,000; PG&E, $750; and Toni Raymus, $250
• • •
prior to Oct. 1
All donations of $100 or more from any specific group, individual, business or organization must be reported under California law. Donations of $99 and less do not have to be reported.
The following are donations made through Sept. 30.
DeBrum’s contributors include:
• $1,500: TX3 Enterprises, LLC
• $1,250: Roger Hartley
• $1,000: W/L Harris Properties, Casino Real, Olsen for Assembly, Armelin Amaral Dairy, George Perry & Sons, Edward Nunes Dairy, Brocchini Farms
• $800: Two Guys Food & Fuel, Manteca Mart owner Gurninder Singh
• $500: MNB Express, Chadha Construction, Ronald Cheek Corp., Castelanelli Brothers, Silva Brothers Dairy, Tuff Boy Leasing, Sansar Indian Cuisine, DHoot Brothers Partnership, Vanco Truck & Auto Plaza, Ruan Transportation Carl and Susan Vander Schaaf, Manteca Trailer & Motorhome
• $450: 2Q Farming, Knife River Construction
•$325: Brocchini Family Partnership
• $300: Harpreet Singh, Country Mart Gas & Food, Awnie Ammar, Peggy Thompson
• $275: MCR Engineering
• $250: Ed Machado Dairy, Amar Singh, Anthony Barkett, William Filios, John and Joan Coburn
• $200: George and Gloria Soares, Western Singh Brokers, Interstate Enterprises, One Stop Market, W&J Dairy
• $150: Tubbs & Electric
• $125: Jo-D Properties, Lynda Ives, Grupe Commercial, Art & Jennifer Nunes, Kevin and Diane Wentworth, Rick and Mikki Riella, Case & Christine Van Steyn, Ken Hafer, Van Ryn Brothers
• $100: Omar Trucking, Balwant & Lakvinder Sandu, Amar Singh, Harkomal Singh, Manteca Family Chiropractic, Ethan Ives, Fred Millner, Don and Sharon Busser, Arshpreet Singh, Tower Mart Liquors, Alyce Luis, Tallerico Family Limited Partnership, Cardoza Enterprises, Crystal Downs Insurance Agency
Cantu’s donations include:
• $1,000: La Super Altena Market
• $500: Anthony Halloway, DIYA LCC, Grow Elect
• $250: Bruce Lowensbery
• $150: Lyndel Grosskopf
• $100: Marie Raymus
Hernandez’s donations include:
• $1,000: TX2 Ent. LLC, Tuff Boy Leasing
• $635: William Filios
• $550: Ron Cheek Corp., Wentworth Properties
• $500: TR Land Co., Daryll Quersma, Knife River Construction, Frontiers, Fiore Development, Riella Farms
• $250: Jeff Shields, Nolte & Associates, Nicholas Tejeda, T. Ryamus/A. Sephos, Dino Cunial, Robert Raymus, Gurminder Singh, Two Guys Food & Fuel, Dorothy DeCosta
• $100: Jacqueline Brietenbucher, A.M. Luis, Steve DeBrum, Randolph Blackwood, Sheri Coburn
Morowit’s donations include:
• $1,150: TX3 ENT LLC,
• $1,000: Casino Real, Tuff Boy Leasing, Manteca Development Group
• $500: Manteca Development Group, Hakeem Ellis & Morengo, William Filios, JADD Properties, Demetrios Filios, Northstar Engineering Group, Albert and Marianne Boyce, Larry and Georgann Anderson, Manteca Sundance Properties, George Perry & Sons, David and Jennifer Bernhard, TR Land Company
• $400: Knife River Construction
• $350: MCR Engineering
• $300: Riella Ranches, Bobby Shaw
• $250: Brocchini Family Partnership, Toni Raymus, Bob Raymus, Andrew Sephos, Larry Solari, D. Hogan Drywall, Ray Uecker Construction, Dale Russell, Gunsch Electric, Robert Barre
• $200: Ronald L. Cheek Corp., Gurminder Singh, Frank Lambert, Don and Donna Little, Daryll and Diane Quaresma, Awnie Ammar
• $199: Lorina Little
• $150: Baldev Singh, Eric and Jeanette Hayes
• $100: Gene Paradela, Stephen and Thaera Schuler, Heather Pereza, Suzanne Clemens, Clyde Walther, Juice and Java Express, JO-D Properties, Jeffrey Zellner, Armajit Dhaliwal, Jeff Shields, John DeLuca, Shot Gun Johnny’s Fiore Development
Silverman’s contributions include:
• $1,000: TX3 Ent. LCC, Olsen for Assembly, Charles Munger Jr.
• $750: Manteca Development Group
• $500: Tuff Boy Leasing, George Perry & Sons, Frontiers, Ken Vogel for Assembly, Susan Vander Schaaf, Daryll Quersma, SJC Building/Trade Council
• $250: D.E. Russell Painting, Ray Uecker Construction, Andrew Sephos, Toni Raymus, Carl Grissom, Prima Frrutta Packing, MCR Engineering
• $200: Awnie Ammar
• $150: Grupe Commercial
• $100: Tallerico Family Partnership, Cardoza Enterprises, Peggy Thompson, Dave Winegarden, Lois Wiedenhoeft, Manteca Medical Group, Alan Nakanishi
Silverman has made $4,500 in loans to his own campaign.