By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Mountain lion recovers from eating rat poison
Placeholder Image

LOS ANGELES (AP) — There’s good news for P-22, a Southern California mountain lion that famously was photographed near the Hollywood sign for National Geographic.
The National Park Service Thursday says the cat appears to have recovered from a serious bout of mange, possibly contracted from ingesting rat poison.
The 6-year-old male, who wears a radio tracking collar, prowls Griffith Park in Los Angeles. He appeared sick when researchers examined him in 2014 but when he was recaptured last month, P-22 had gained about 15 pounds and his skin lesions and scabs had disappeared.
Rat poison is a serious problem for the small cougar population in Southern California. The animals may ingest it by eating rodents or animals that prey on them.
The park service has found poison in a dozen cats. Three died.