By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
Play ball! Making wiser tailgate choices
Placeholder Image

EDITOR’S NOTE: Josh Messersmith has been selected to participate in the Year of You, a fitness challenge hosted by The Manteca Bulletin, CalFit Manteca and CORE Athletic Performance. Messersmith is keeping a weekly journal, highlighting the strides and struggles of his fitness journey. These are his thoughts and feelings shared with you.


Day 78

Happy Opening Day! 

I am a huge baseball fan and do consider Opening Day a national holiday, but since it technically is not a holiday, I used some vacation hours to take today off work and go to the A’s game. 

So to start my extra day off I slept a little longer and then went to the 10:30 a.m. class at CORE. I got in a great workout to start off a great week. I hit chest and tricep with a little bit more cable work instead of free weights. It was a nice change of pace. Once I finished lifting I had 25 minutes on my least favorite machine, the treadmill. 

After that I went home to start getting ready for the game. I knew we were tailgating so I did not eat until we got to Oakland where I then feasted on shrimp, chicken and some veggies. Now the hardest part for me was not getting that one beer in. I knew I could fit it in my macros for the day but did not want one to become two, two to become three and so forth. So I stayed away from the traditional beer at the ballpark and still had a great time at the game.


Day 79

Another extra day off for me! After getting home late from the game, I decided to sleep in and catch up on my ZZZs. After waking up I went to CORE’s 10:30 a.m. class. Today I hit back and bicep followed up by 30 minutes of cardio on the lovely treadmill. Once I was done with my workout, I stayed after to enjoy some indoor golf of some sort with Robert and one of his athletes. We were just having a good time with friendly competition and a hard rain/hail pounding on the roof of CORE and also flooding Ideal Parkway. After all that I returned home in time to do a few house chores, pick up my sister from school and watch some more baseball — flipping back and forth between the A’s and Giants. I ended my night with a treat of frozen yogurt and it fit perfectly into my macros for the day. 


Day 80 

It’s my two-a-day day. Usually I workout twice on Wednesdays because I am usually working all day Monday but today I used it as the first workout to be strictly lifting which was great because it was leg day. After I finished my lift at CORE, I went home to get ready for a day full of errands with my fiancée Shelby. We went all over Manteca and Modesto getting groceries and decorations for a party we are having in the next few weeks. After a long day I had to go get my sister from her game. It was a bummer that I did not get to watch her because she went yard (hit a home run) for the first time all season. After taking her home, I hopped in the kitchen to make turkey for dinner to go with what broccoli and quinoa I had left. I then returned to CORE for two different types of 25-minute cardio. One was treadmill work and the other was a stair/burpee interval workout. 


Day 81

Well, I planned on going to workout two times today but those plans changed. I woke up earlier than I usually do and started with yard work. Once that was over, I headed off to CORE. I was given a good shoulder workout by Robert (Iniguez) and was barely able to lift my arms at the end of it. I did not do any cardio at that time, believing I would return at night to do so. After I finished my workout, I went home to clean up some dirt that had come out of my yard and went into the street. By the time I was finished with the dirt, I decided to clean out the inside of my car before going to get my sister from school. After that my busy day did not stop, I had to do my grandparents’ yard work and then returned home to shower just in time to see that Shelby was home early. We were going to go get our dining room table. The rest of the night was spent putting the table together with the help of her father while I prepared chicken for our dinner. 


Day 82

I decided to go to the 5 a.m. class to play Frisbee to start off my day. It was my fun cardio for the week and it was a good game at that. I then went home to sleep for a few hours before going back at 10:30 for a workout. I ended up playing Frisbee once again and once again it was a fun game. Robert thought he could stop me from scoring but that was not the case for part of the game. After all the fun I had, I had to run to Modesto to pick up a few items for the party then race home to get ready for work. 


Day 83

Well, I was made aware that I was working until 6 a.m tomorrow morning so I slept until 10 a.m. and then began to help put up our gazebo and set up the backyard with our new decorations before heading off to work to have a long boring double shift.


Day 84

Well, if you were not able to tell, I pretty much slept my day away and then returned to work for eight hours. A different kind of shift but still an easy one at that. I raced home once I was off to get home and get to bed to start off our 13th week right!