Modesto Garden Club
The largest gardening club in California with a current membership of 548, the Modesto Garden Club is a member of National Garden Clubs, Inc; Pacific Region; California Garden Clubs, Inc ; and Valley Lode District.
• MEETINGS: The Modesto Garden Club meets on the second Thursday of each month, September through May, except December. Meetings are from noon to 1:45 p.m.
• Membership: Renewals begin May 1
Meetings are held at the Bethel Church, 2361 Scenic Drive.
• Hospitality: 10:15 a.m. - noon
• Snack & Learn: 10:45 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
• REGISTRATION: To join the Modesto Garden Club as a New Member, fill out the form at http://www.modestogardenclub.org/apps.html. Annual dues are $40.00 and can be paid through PayPal using a credit card or by sending a check for $40.00 to MGC.
• INFORMATION: Call the office Wed. 9 a.m. - Noon at 209.529.7360 or email the Director of Membership at email@example.com.
MODESTO – For more than 30 years Westurf Nursery has been a mainstay in the Modesto gardening landscape, and with 10 acres of trees, shrubs, roses and more, it’s hard to miss.
“Westurf Nursery is one of the biggest in the area and very supportive of gardeners in the Modesto area,” said Dan Yockey, president of the Modesto Garden Club.
Westurf’s vast selection of plants, shrubs, roses, trees and more makes the nursery a well-known location for those with a “green thumb,” but many locals are also drawn to the nursery for landscaping needs.
“We get a lot of new homeowners and we’re known for selling sod. We’re probably the largest distributer of sod here in Modesto so people definitely think of us when they need new lawns,” said Elena Welch, owner of Westurf Nursery.
Other than offering sod, Westurf is also unique in that Welch aims to bring hard to find plants to the area for gardeners by selling them at the nursery.
“I definitely look for thing that everyone else doesn’t have and that’s what makes us different than box stores,” said Welch.
Westurf Nursery also caters to a variety of individuals’ needs, offering traditional and organic options for the local gardener. For those looking to spruce up their outdoor landscape, larger items are for sale such as outdoor fireplaces and pizza ovens. Customers can also purchase materials in bulk for their garden such as ground cover, bark and rock and the Nursery also sells and services power equipment. The Westurf Nursery gift shop also features a multitude of gardening accessories as well as home good and gifts such as lotions and hand creams.
Workshops are held almost every weekend at Westurf Nursery as well as seasonal events such as an art show in May and an Easter egg hunt this month. The Easter egg hunt is on April 19 from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the nursery, 1612 Claus Road in Modesto.
Westurf Nursery is open from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays.